About the Musician Treatment Foundation
The Musician Treatment Foundation (MTF) provides surgical and related care for the shoulder, elbow, and hand injuries of under- and uninsured professional musicians so they can maintain their livelihoods and keep the music playing for us all. MTF is dedicated to fostering a world that cares for its injured musicians regardless of their ability to pay.
On average, professional musicians spend over 90% of their time performing live on the road, away from personal and medical support systems. Injuries can arise at any moment from the repetitive intensity of playing instruments, and from unexpected accidents. With this in mind, we are launching the first nonprofit of its kind – in design, scope, and breadth – to fund and facilitate upper limb treatment and continuity of care for needful musicians at home and on tour.
Our mission is driven by five initiatives:
1. TREAT the shoulder, elbow, and hand problems of under- and uninsured professional musicians.
2. CREATE the first cloud-based platform to allow state-of-the-art remote preoperative, postoperative, and non-operative continuity of care.
3. BUILD the first physician-surgeon network and musician registry dedicated to facilitating care across the world.
4. EDUCATE musicians, both amateur and professional, on preventative techniques that will minimize or prevent musician-specific injuries.
5. SHARE new research and outcomes data with the world to illuminate the unique diagnostic and treatment issues facing all musicians.
As a practicing orthopedic surgeon for over two decades, O. Alton Barron, MD, has witnessed the devastating impact upper-limb injuries can have on working musicians. After providing pro bono or greatly discounted surgical care to musicians whenever possible, Dr. Barron realized that he had to find a way to bring this service to many more musicians in need. His vision gave rise to the Musician Treatment Foundation, a nonprofit 501(c)(3) founded in October 2017.
The nonprofit is overseen by a 13-member board of directors who contribute their keen expertise in business, music, law, healthcare, technology, design, and more. As early board members, Dr. Barron’s longtime friends, Elvis Costello and Diana Krall, were instrumental in bringing hope and momentum to the foundation.
Dr. O. Alton Barron
Founder and Executive Director
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Mark J. Coleman JD
Senior partner and general counsel, InterMedia Advisors, LLC – a New York based private equity firm
S. Claiborne “Clay” Johnston, MD, PhD
Inaugural Dean of the Dell Medical School at the University of Texas at Austin
Managing Partner, Slover and Co.
Vice Chancellor for External Relations, University of Texas System
Senior Vice President and Associate General Counsel, IMG Worldwide, LLC